5th September 2010

Jimmy and Rus headed to very heart of England to test their mettle against Kilotogo's latest sportive - Wild Edric.  As veterans of the Cornwall Tor, devised by the same organisers, they knew it was going to be heavy on the hills.  Just how heavy was soon to be discovered...

The 103 mile route claimed the inclusion of the mythical "Long Mynd" early in the course.  When they said mythical we were thinking of short people with hairy toes (like Steve and Baggy), not a ball-breaking 35% plus hill!  Of the hundred or so people on the hill, we only saw three who managed to cycle the whole thing.  For everyone else it was a 1.5 mile walk, whilst skating in spds.

Jimmy hit the nail on the head at the top - "my legs feel like I've done 30 miles, so far we have managed 7.4!"  And so it was going to be like that...

We spent large parts of the day admiring amazing scenery across the Shropshire Hills and into the Welsh Marches. We marvelled at the beauty of some "why don't we live here" type villages. But more than anything we climbed, and climbed, and climbed, on a course that never lets us relax.  The organisers claimed a fabled 12 mile decent after reaching the top of Long Mountain, but with the wind blowing straight in our faces, there was no freewheeling to be had in between the alpine-like hairpin bends.

By the second feed-station at 70 miles we were starting to come to the edge of the comfort zone.  More hills and a splash of rain and before we knew it Rus was about to blow a fuse.  The course organisers clearly knew this was going to be an issue, and offered the riders a short cut to the line, or as they put it - "the tired rider route".  A pit stop ensued, and a lively discussion commenced.  After a serious chat, Rus decided to MTFU, and followed Jimmy home for the remaining 18 miles, but not without the now customary Kilotogo sting in the tail.  A 3.5 mile climb from 97 to 100 miles was the final kicking!

So that was that.  We did 103 miles of gruelling climbing (both on and off the bike) in 6hrs 51 mins.  We saw a large chunk of England and Wales that is truly stunning, feels very remote, and was surprisingly easy to get to.

Quote of the day (from a member of the Milton Keynes Cycling Club), halfway up the monster of Kerry Hill "If I was going to be a member of an Institute of Sport there is only one place in the world it would have to be, and Vegas says it all".

And so in true LVIS style we finished the day with 8 pints of Big Nev/Shropshire Gold and a fiery curry.

15th August 2010
Singlespeed UK Champs 2010 Cwm Rhaeder, Wales
A fairly personal account by Nouveau

In some ways I wasn't looking forward to SSUK. I'd been away camping on almost every free day I could remember and badly needed proper bed and no more sore shoulders or being woken up at dawn by the sun or rain. But singlespeed events are usually pretty special, so Kirstie and I loaded up the car with all the crap that we hadn't really put away from last weekend and off we went. The journey was pretty good- the valley road up to Merthyr is way more spectacular than your average motorway schlep and the Heads of the Valleys road is the reason people buy motorbikes (that and bacon sandwiches). We got to the campsite at Cilycwm (Cilywcm Valley? Didn't notice any huge computer industry) just after dark and were greeted by Ant and Celia who'd staked out the Vegas corner next to Shaggy, the Singletrack lot, the Outcast lot the Surrey lot and the Scottish folk.

With the glorious LVIS Event Shelter up and the fire pit installed, we had the familiar home from home that comes with being part of the greatest institute in cycle history. Quite how Ant and Ceelz got so much in to their car is a mystery, but I'm insanely grateful for every bit of shelter and amazing baked item. And highly impressed that they managed to forget a tent (fortunately someone a spare!). I'm sure we meant to have a quiet night, but somehow a jolly mixture of rum, foamy beer from a giant can, cider and finally midnight port was guzzled with enthusiasm.

I woke up on race day feeling like it was my last. Every question posed to me was so difficult it made me want to take a 'fail'. The smell of the portaloos was indescribably nauseating. I was so desperate I even tried cereal, Alka Seltzer and a random decongestant in an attempt to consume my way back to health. Thank goodness the organisers were wise enough to leave the start until 2:00 to give people a fighting chance of recovery. The scenery in mid Wales is glorious, but the weather is stroboscopic, every 10 minutes re starts the furious cycle of waterproofs and sunglasses. Celia's amazing giant Chelsea bun and the arrival of Paddy and Jess should have cheered me up, but all to no avail.

Eventually the time came for changing in to PE kit and rolling along for the briefing. We went along but couldn't hear much. The ride to the start was a mile at about walking pace and I feared for getting dropped. There was the traditional Le Mans start. We ran up to our bikes to find them arranged in colour order. I passed a haphazard heap of Jeff Jones bikes that must have been worth twenty grand at least and picked my trusty old Kona out of the heap of poo brown bikes (it was gold once...).

The race started on fire road. It didn't look steep, but it did seem to be lung bustingly hard, and my heart rate monitor was in accord. A couple of sections on terrifyingly squashy mud was followed by a bridge whose handrails would have made an effective filter for modern DH riders- no way you were getting metre wide bars through that. I caught up with Dr Jon (cripes he's got big legs... and horrible small pants) which was encouraging. But then the climbing started. Or rather pushing. I'd like to think I can usually ride most hills. but it was quickly obvious that there was no point- keeping up with a gentle trot was an arm wrenching effort. There was no way I was going to be able to complete two laps, let alone three. Or four (maybe that was in the rider briefing, it seemed irrelevant). The descent from the top is a-mazing. Super fun, covered in lost multi tools and with alpine levels of braking bumps. But still tiring as hell.

And then came some kind of salvation. In the form of Phil the Horse, whose incredibly loud belching had heralded the new day. He managed to cheer me up with a rousing few verses of 'Kiss you all over' and then the reminder that the beer stop is where it's at in singlespeed racing. We rode along in tandem, keeping the pace up and being told off for chatting by the marshals. The beer stop contained something wonderful. It smelt like beer, was sweeter than honey and seemed to make mid-race tummy aches go away.

Shaggy has been going furiously quickly in every race I've done with him recently, so finding he was only a corner ahead was pretty encouraging. My only chance to overtake him, which is his bike exploding, happened and Phil and I were ahead. As the race went on, the descent got smoother and we got more familiar with it, even using some pump track experience to get extra speed out of a few bits. At the end of the lap we were half way there, and it called for a bit of a Bon Jovi on the soft rock sing-along . Maybe I could finish after all. Another lap of gaspingly hard climbs, a tiny bite of food and it looked possible. Five minutes of rain freshened things up nicely. On the last lap I passed Ant and Paddy, racing hand in hand as ever, then Celia speeding along the downhill with her rigid forks and gold Surrey bars. The boost of seeing the glorious purple and gold race wear can never be underestimated. I think I pulled away from Phil a little on the last decent and collapsed at the finish. In 6th! Or something! Celia rolled up shortly afterwards- 4th lady and then Paddy narrowly beat Antony in a sprint finish. Go Vegas!

For the first time that day I actually felt OK again! The weather must have heard that so it started raining again. We headed back to the campsite. I have to say that the race organisation was great. Race HQ was in a huge barn. Bar provided by the local pub, food from Glyncorrwg's Drop Off in their mobile double decker bus cafe. Prize giving was nicely random- magazines for the top finishers, throwable objects thrown in to the crowd, then things like titanium frames decided by tug of war (we really missed the proper big rowing lads there) and terrifyingly difficult mini bike racing.
Next up was Antony on the platters that matter. An hour of so in and heads were nodding appreciatively but it was Antony's keen observation that 30 something males are even more desperate to be able to break dance than most XC riders are to be able to wheelie that really started the dancing.  On came some hip hop, the crowd formed and natural selection presented the biggest show-offs. Good times continued in to the night.
The next day, most people went for another ride or trotted off home. A special mention to Cab, who woke early and rode to St David's to rejoin the family holiday. Ant, Ceelz, Kirstie and I rode the excellent new trails at Brechfa then pub lunched while a man with a chainsaw cleared a fallen tree in a river and flaunted health and safety advice for our entertainment. All in, a brilliant event- 'props' to Andy "Gooner" Gowan and Matt Page who spearheaded the organisation. Can Vegas take on the organisational challenge for 2011 and paint the national champs purple and gold?

8th August 2010
LVIS delivered another set of finely tuned riders to the start of the Wilton Audax for the second year running.  There were no takers for the 200km route this year, but the 100km route was the weapon of choice.

The car park chat was awash with "Barry's Ball Buster" testimonials - many compliments were received on behalf of the LVIS Audax organisers, coupled with plenty of requests to ensure the quality of the cakes is maintained for 2011! 

Owing to some early morning logistics problems (ie a bit late getting out of bed!) the group split into two on the start line.  The first group of Baggy, Jimmy and Rus headed off at 9am, and quickly started to chew up the kilometres.  Surrounded by beards and mudguards, the pace was decidedly friendly.  Eventually Baggy started to wind up the power, with an instantaneous thinning of the pack to a group of about 10.

Holding the speed north of 20mph, we reached the first checkpoint in an hour.  Leading group down to 6.

After a less pacey run over the next 22m to Blandford we settled into a fine cafe for more cakes. Lead group now 6.

And so the climbing started.  On a belly full of tea and flapjack the 8 mile climb out of Blandford commenced.  After various grunts, groans, and burps the lead group was down to 5 at the summit.  A quick trot past Madonna's house and then Sting's house (I don't know my they want to live so close to each other either?) and the end was in nearing.  With about 10m to go the LVIS boys finally broke free, and the lead group was 3.  Three visions of purple and gold, streaking through the Wiltshire countryside...

Then, in a moment that would make Barry proud, the leaders caught sight of The Queens Head, Broad Chalke.  Weakened by hours in the saddle, the call of a pint of Badger was too much.  The brakes went on, and the boys took up position on an outside bench to watch those who had fought them so hard come through.

A slowish ride over the last 3 miles back into Wilton made for a very pleasurable 5hrs on the road.

Sad news to finish, the organiser Dave Sambrells announced that 2010 Wilton Audax may be his last.  He has been organising it for 21 years and feels its time for a break.  So, to all those who have had the chance to ride Dave's fine routes we offer a BIG LVIS THANK YOU.


14th June 2010


Marcus and Baggy took part in the Paris Roubaix sportive:

Most cyclists will have a 'hit list' of classic routes, climbs, locations and races that they hope to ride at some stage in their lives such as the climb to Alpe D'Huez, riding the slick rock at Moab, Lands End to John O'Groats, Mont Ventoux, Finale 24hr, Lanzarote Ironman (for the tri folk)  to name but a few. High on this list for me was to ride the sportive of the Queen of the Classics - Paris Roubaix. Steeped in history and claimed to be one of the oldest cycling races in the world the professional race of Paris Roubaix has always been a spectacle as the pack take on the 255km route that includes 50km of cobbles or pavé to give it's correct name. As much a test for the bike as the body it is a race that challenges the best and for many it's just a case of surviving, staying upright and hanging on for dear life. I wanted to have a go.

Luckily I wasn't alone as Tom (of BAD Tri fame) and Baggy were also keen to see what all the fuss was about. Tom was already a veteran of the pavé having raced the Tour of Flanders Sportive which has a similar mix of tarmac and cobbles but had been warned that the Roubaix stones were a whole new experience.

Despite the name the route doesn't actually start in Paris and hasn't done since the early 60's, instead it sets off 60km North East in Compiégne. Rolling into town at 6am the day before the event we eventually found our basic bunker of a hotel and spent most of day sleeping, eating, checking the bikes, checking the legs and contemplating our fate.

Soon enough it was time to get on with it and at dawn the next day we stuffed our route cards into back pockets, grabbed a cereal bar or four, secured all loose items and set off. The first 100km were promised to be flat and smooth so the plan was to get into a nice big peloton and stay off the front but we quickly found ourselves in a group of about 12 so not easy to hide without ruining international relations. Not that a rather vocal German girl was too fussed about that as she angrily waved everyone through if she was forced anywhere near the front. 85km passed quickly though with a few more rolling hills than we expected and Baggy and I arrived at the first checkpoint feeling good with Tom just behind having decided to save his legs on the last few hills. We were met by our Directeur Sportive, Dave who said we had just missed a huge group of about 80 riders who had come through together, damn! Bottles topped up and pockets filled we regrouped and savoured the next 15 km of tarmac before the punishment really began.

As we approached a sharp corner there were a number of marshals smiling and crowds cheering which we thought was nice but as we turned we realised why they were there. In front of us was what appeared to be a rough farm track loosely set with cobbles, we were on skinny tyres, this didn't seem at all right but we were about to experience our first taste of the pavé. Following the advice of former PR veterans I changed into a big gear and accelerated onto the track as hard as possible, there were bottles everywhere, bikes lay in the verge with riders nearby and every 10m a puncture was being repaired. Pushing hard seemed to work well as the bike skipped over the bumps nicely and I was soon through the 2.2km secteur. Stopping with a big grin to wait for others it all seemed to be going well so far. Tom appeared with foot unclipped as his cleat had shaken loose and Baggy turned up a few minutes later having ejected one bottle and clutching the other in his hand. 1 secteur down, 28 to go.

Like a staff member in McDonalds each secteur is given a star rating depending on how adept they are at serving up their grim delights based on the quality of the cobbles, number of potholes and general hideousness with 1 star being OK(ish) and 5 stars being at the top of the Richter scale.. After another 1.8km section we hit the 3.7km, 4 star Quievy to Saint Python sectuer. This was less fun as it went on and on and cobbles were wider spaced so my momentum slowly ground down and the slower you go the harder the bumps feel. Crawling off the end onto blissful asphalt I pulled over to wait for the others. Tom emerged looking shaken and not stirred but Baggy had now lost an entire bottle cage from his post mounted bidon catapult. Someone uttered the fateful phrase "Thank goodness it's not raining" as sure enough a few km's down the road the sky clouded over and a few spots of rain were felt. The bone dry, dust covered pavé was now glistening and waiting to throw the unsuspecting rider into a ditch. Luckily the bikes seemed to handle well though with all 28mm of rubber being used to our advantage to weave around the more cautious Euro-roadies. Now raining properly my snipe-like frame was suffering in the cold and as I pulled into the checkpoint before Arenberg I was physically shivering, but maybe that was just the fear of what lay ahead. The Directeur Sportive issued me my rain jacket, and topped up supplies before sending us out onto the secteur we had all been dreading the most, the 5 star Trouvée d'Arenberg (or Arenberg Trench to you and me). The pro's hit this at 60 km/hr and it has been the scene of some spectacular crashes which is why it's often lined 4 deep with spectators. For some reason they hadn't turned up today but we tried to put on a good show for the handful of supporters braving the rain. We rode into it hard and almost into the back of some Italian mountain bikers who had decided to use their brakes right in front of us. But the stones soon sapped any speed and for the majority of it's 2.4km length The Trench made us work for every pedal stroke as each cobble seemed to stop the bike dead. Surprisingly the majority of riders chose the smooth cinder track alongside the cobbles but surely that's like riding to the bottom of Ventoux and then going round it? Sure it's not the easiest or fastest route but it's part of cycling folklore and needs to be ridden.

'Just' 17 secteurs and 100km to go.

Now all riding at our own pace so as to stay warm (though the pavé helped our bodies generate some heat!) we battled on through the rough and the smooth. With legs getting weary it was getting hard to attack the cobbles with much gusto so it was now a case of pushing through as best we could. Frequently changing hand positions on the bars seemed to help on the longer sections and the thick double layer of bar tape took out some of the sting. It was getting painful to uncurl my fingers from the bars once back onto the roads though.

Some hours later I arrived at the penultimate checkpoint. After drinking what appeared to be energy mouthwash, eating some cheese triangles with salami, several ham sandwiches and an orange I was ready to go just as Tom appeared looking like he'd crawled out the Somme. The pavé had claimed another victim and he'd taken a tumble, scraping his knee and producing a nice smear of blood down his leg. He seemed pleased with this look.

The last 30km were a blur of farmland, villages, lovely smooth rolling roads and 7 more secteurs of pavé. Before long there was a sign for 3km to Roubaix and I found myself in a group on Londoners as I entered the outskirts of the town. Somehow we found the strength to sprint between the red lights and suddenly swung round and into the bowl of Roubaix velodrome, the traditional finish to the pro race. Feeling bold I found enough pace to get high onto the banking before swinging round to the finish grinning from ear to ear. Tom was next to arrive and seemed to be gunning for the line against another rider while still bleeding from the knee. Powered by the mighty tartiflette from the night before and a mind-bending, extra strength caffeine gel Baggy romped home too with most of his bike still working. Next stop, food and lots of it, beer, collect our commemorative cobble and a fair bit of massaging of sore forearms. 

Epic is a term that is often bandied around to describe rides and events but this is surely one that justifies that title, in fact you could call it classically epic!

So another one to tick off the hit list and a real benchmark set, time to see what's next...

7th June 2010

Pics from photo-it.com

As usual LVIS fielded a strong team at the Brisol Bikefest, with some strong results though no podiums this year. The puncture fairy seemed to be quite upset with LVIS though - probably paying for several previous years with few problems. Regardless, everyone had a brilliant time as the weather stayed sunny and the LVIS race area was clearly the place to be.

Supremes – 5th/42 - Mixed - John W, Andy W, Ian, Celia
Caesars – 28th/124 – Male - Mike T, Andy L, Chris S, Nathan
Fine Wines – 25th/42 – Mixed - Tess, Bill, Simon, Phil
Pirates – 98th/124 – Male (though some laps were docked due to 'timing discrepancies'...) - Giles, Mike W, Dylan, Chris S

Pics are here: http://www.photo-it.com/bbf/bristolbikefest05-jun-10.htm

Results are here: http://timelaps.co.uk/assets/uploads/EventReport.aspx?eventID=130AshtonCourt05/06/2010

3rd June 2010

LVIS sent a team to the Finale Ligure 24 hour race in Italy for the first time. Paddy T writes:

A team of 4 intrepid LVIS riders set out from Bristol Temple Meads on an overcast Wednesday morning with the sole intention of conquering the 24h de Finale. After a journey involving four trains, dismantling bikes twice, riding across two European capitals and up one bloody big hill Ant, Celia, Nouveau and Paddy arrived at a semi deserted race course on top of a hill in the Italian Riviera.  We were quickly given a guided tour by Riccardo and chose a delightfully shaded camping spot adjacent to some Germans (more of them later). By the time we got set up it seemed right to hit the beach for some race preparation followed by practicing our ability to drink cheap red wine.

Friday was spent reccying the course and realising it was by far the best 24hr race course any of us had seen. Followed by some light exercise in the afternoon and realising that an Italian “XC” route is best tackled with body armour and bigger bikes.

The race on Saturday started in the local town square with a 3km “neutralised” road section and long offroad climb before joining the race course proper. Following a quick read of the Gazzetta and a café corretto in the square Nouveau was off to a blistering start.

The race went fairly uneventfully apart from the music, which included Paddy standing in the change over area being forced to listen to bagpipes, thumping euro beats at all hours of the night and the steady thrum of generators despite their being electric hook-ups provided all over the campsite.

With a total of 32 laps in 24 hours 18 minutes and 16 seconds the Las Vegas Institute of Sport Super Friends finished in 13th out of 50 in the four man male competitive category (apparently you need more than one female to be mixed or some such), which was 48 out of 115 overall in the competitive teams (which we hasten to point out included such bizarre things as 8 and 12 man teams). Despite there being no dance off at the awards ceremony we still managed to pick a prize for travelling to the race by train.

Following the race we had a few more days R & R before tackling the journey home.

We give the race 10 stars for the following: weather, company, course, Don Riccardo of Finale, free buffs, prize sunnies, scorpions, journey booze, arts 'n' craft fun, sneaking in to camp-sites for showers, squirty cream, Italians, Germans, Dave from Holland, 29ers, Euro Lycra, Cippo, Piazzas, Pizzas, Cafe, whether Elaborato, coretto or espresso, Gazetta del Umbrella, Getting lost, big rocks, getting found, bikes in the loo, travel Cluedo, the Stylophone, Lokomotive Stuttgart, stickers and free pasta.

Back to the Germans, both during the race and following it they put together a fantastic video which can be seen here.

Following the experience this year it is anticipated that LVIS will put together a bigger squadron for next year!


19th May 2010

There was also LVIS representation at the other end of the country with a few entries in the erenti Cornwall Tor (previously known as the North Cornwall Tor).

Unlike last year the weather was not playing ball, and no matter how much praying to the Sun Gods was done the prayers were not answered!  Waking up to a grey, damp and windy Sunday morning.

Russ, Jimmy and Giles headed off on the 72 mile route with LVIS jerseys hidden by wet weather gear ready for a day of wind and rain, but soon started looking a little like boil in the bag cyclists.  After much complaining (from the regulars) that the start of the ride appeared to be much more "up and down" than last year we suddenly found ourselves in Port Isaac - and realising that they had swapped the route direction to last year.

Just after the first feed station the clouds finally released the wet stuff on us making the descents as tricky as the ascents.  There appeared to be as many people walking down some of the hills as there were walking up them...

Once the hills were done the route turned into the strong headwind making life very difficult on the exposed straight roads on top of the moors - never has a flat road felt so steep!

finishing in under 6 hours was a good result and well up the results sheet.

Also entering the 44 mile route, and earning a spot on the LVIS hall of fame were Jo and Lauren (Mrs Russ and Mrs Jimmy) which was the first ever sportive that either had entered.  Entering one of the most challenging sportives that the UK could throw at them was either brave or stupid - but at least it will make the next race seem easy!  

All that was left was to shower and head to the pub for some well earned isotonic Skinners Ginger Tosser...


18th May 2010

LVIS took part in the Etape Caledonia on Sunday May  16th looking forward to covering themselves in purple and gold glory.  Undeterred by looming clouds of ash, Baggy, Neil, Nathan and Jon shlepped up to Scotland by any means possible, regrouping on the Saturday to register and get in a decent training ride to the ice cream shop and back.  

Although the BBC was staunch in its outlook, the expected deluge of rain never materialised and all were treated to sunny skies and decent riding conditions early Sunday morning. The unexpectedly pleasant weather soothed the nerves as we fought our way through the scrum at the start line to get away about 25 minutes after the first wave which included notable entrants Graham Obree, Ben Fogle and James Cracknell.

The initial adrenaline, overly exuberant pace and resulting high heart rates failed to dissipate and we cracked along at a decent speed. Few if any pace lines were able to break the LVIS stranglehold with any breakaways being chased down with gusto until age and experience got the better of us and we agreed to settle in for the long haul at about the 20 mile mark. Truth be told, a couple of us couldn’t resist the carrot being dangled  and the LVIS squad fractured never to regroup until the finish 61 miles and several hours later….

Having never ridden the event before all of us rode measured performances (even if some of those measurements were wildly optimistic), expecting some nasty Scottish climb to catch us out, yet for most this never materialised with even the fabled Schehallion King of the Mountains section being riddled with sustained flat and even downhill sections, clearly the event organisers need to come ride the LVIS Audax to understand the meaning of a true climb.

Closed Roads, a fast course and decent weather saw some great times, notably Baggy who came in at 3.58, 274th 30 minutes behind the Weiner.  The rest of the LVIS Squad cruising in at 4.11 and 4.19, having dispatched the local domestiques and Elvis wannabes with ease.

Despite some shady and rather last minute organisation, unpredictable weather and competition hell bent on wheel sucking we had a great time… interestingly If we’d pulled our fingers out and filled in the reg forms correctly we had a team that would have finished 8th overall. Oh and we beat Fogle (if not Cracknell who actually seems to be rather quick for a rower) which has to be good.

20th April 2010

LVIS took on the best singlespeeders Europe has to offer at the Singlespeed European Championships, held in the Forest of Dean and came away with a podium placing, several top 20 placings and a brilliant weekend's memories, not to mention several prizes.

Notable performances:

Andy B for his third place finish. Nouveau, Leon, Marcus, Nick for top 20 placings

Nick (shown left) may well have also done rather that his top 20 finish had he been able to reach his bike which had been hung up in a tree, out of his reach at the start

Bill for winning the prize for 'crappest rider' and a two day mtb skills course

Paddy for winning the dance off to win a set of spangly cranks

Dylan for nearly winning the bike throwing contest

The Belgian team for giving away gorgeous Belgian beer to anyone who wanted any

The Knights of Niche for putting on a fantastic event and even ensuring sunny weather.

Pics will be up in the gallery shortly. 

pic courtesy of Richard Lowerson

1st April 2010


The 2011 Singlespeed European Champions will be hosted in Las Vegas. The organisers of SSEC10 liked our bid so much that they've given it to us in advance of the proposed competition to get it so the organisation starts here! We'll be racing in amongst the desert cactuses on a course that will showcase the best LVIS has to offer and the off-bike entertainment is set to be the stuff of legend.

More details to follow as we get them but rest assured that it'll be the best SSEC ever!






29th March 2010

The inaugural LVIS Audax was a huge success with 170 riders taking part and having a great time. The weather changed from the forecast rain to generally dry conditions with some wind to mix things up. The cake stops were fantastic and clearly appreciated by all the riders.

Photos are available in the gallery and will be updated as we get more.

Marcus and Andy L, who take the credit for starting and organising such a great event have written a message of thanks to all the helpers:

Cheers, all went incredibly well and the feedback from the riders was very positive (quotes include "Best Audax ever!", "Best route sheet I've seen", "Delicious cakes"). Looks like we're committed to doing it again next year already!

I think we showed everyone that LVIS don't do things by halves and hopefully showed some of the younger riders how much fun Audaxing can be.

It was all down to the huge amount of hard work put in by all the helpers and we couldn't have done it without them:

Celia and Ant - cakes, signs, Hill Control
Tess and Jamie - photos
Baggy and Phil D - Marshalling
Andy's Parents - Signing on, soup and catering
Giles - signing on
Kirsty S - serving cakes
Steph - serving cakes
Marcus E - Hillesley Control
Frasier and Danni -Glastonbury Control
Martin - Clevedon Control
Cath - cakes and signing on
Nouveau - posters, map and marketing
Jimmy - photos and cake serving
Andy W - Bike shop stall
Kirsty M - cake baker, signing on secretarial duties
Hill WI - pavlova providers

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone but if I have then THANK YOU!

Thank you one and all.


21st February 2010

A reminder about the LVIS Audax taking place on March 28th. With cake! Full details here

14th February 2010

Ian and Baggy took on the Cotswold Corker:

Baggy and I made it to the start of the corker and struggled round the very tough 110km in the mud and bitter cold. It was a good day out as expected, bar a couple of mechanical issues (notably, Baggy’s fancy mudguards getting so full of mud that his back wheel wouldn’t go round). Cleeve Hill remains very steep (some old gents ended up in the ditch as usual), and the roads are still awful with mud, gravel, potholes and ice in roughly equal measure (excellent Paris-Roubaix preparation for Baggy, bar the hills). Cakes were excellent and frequent, and we only got a little bit lost once (an improvement on last year).  

1st January 2010

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to yet another brilliant year of purple and gold!


2009 News Archive

2008 News Archive

2007 News Archive

2006 News Archive